How do you go about becomig a wildlfie rehaber ??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by poultrykeeper08, May 6, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I was wandering how you would go about becoming a wildlife rehaber . Are there any requirements ? like owning your own house being zoned for agriculture , etc . Any info would be very helpfule and very much apppreciated [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Check with your local game warden. I thought at one time I wanted to be a wildlife rehaber....its not too hard to get started, and some states will even help you with pens and such...but...do you REALLY want to bring sick/injured wildlife...that will eventually want to eat your chickens....that close to them?

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Yes, contact your local Fish and Game Department. There are classes that you will have to take, not sure what the facilities requirements are, probably depends on what you want to rehab. I did raptor rehab so not sure about mammals, song birds, etc.

4. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Contact your state's Department of Environmental Conservation. They can send you study material. In New York, the test is given once a year in a specified location. It's a timed test, so the best way to prepare is to make flashcards so that you can study. If you pass, you can then let the DEC know what kinds of animals you would accept (ex. juveniles, waterfowl, large mammals, etc.) To work with raptors or vector (possible rabies carrying species), you would need additional training. Once you're certified, you can elect to have your name posted in a book that is sent out to other rehabbers. You renew your license for free at the end of each year and send in your tally sheet with a list of animals that you rehabbed and other info. This is a great way to work with animals but you need to find a vet who will work with you if you need advice or medicines. Some vets refuse to help you even if you are helping a wild animal. Many people think that you are paid and don't realize that you will be spending a lot of time and money yourself with compensation. A good rehab success rate is 50% with most of the injured animals that you see having been attacked by pet dogs and cats.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Wow thanks for the info

6. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    Join a group-that way you learn and are generally covered by their permits

7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Another thing that you can do is contact several different veterinarians. Very often if you look hard enough you'll find a vet tech who is a rehabber and can take you under his or her wing (pun intended).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by