Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Queen Scoot, Oct 28, 2008.
getting/creating your own website to sell stuff on?
I went to directnic.com and bought a domain name, then i googled Ftp3free and downloaded their HTML editor and FTP free software. Web pages for Dummies, HTML for dummies and I was set! (well, a year later i was set!) I know my site is weak and plain but at least I can change it any time I want by myself, it loads fast and gets the info across that I want to share.
thanks!! any other suggestions anyone?
I have owned several online businesses. I do a little web design, as well. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss ;-)
You can go about it in the following way:
1. Register the domain name (with domain registrar like dotcanuck.ca). ~$15 or so / year
2. Order hosting from any hosting company (I use sureserver) ~ $10 /month
3. Dowload Drupal or WordPress (free, as in beer)
4. Install using their guides (very easy)
5. Download and modify a theme for your site from Drupal or WordPress
6. Download the shopping cart module and install
7. Set yourself up as a vendor with M/C or Visa or use PayPal.
8. Add content and advertise
It's easy to do, there is tons of support for Drupal. You can ask on their forums (drupal.org). WordPress is mostly for bloggers, so I'd suggest using Drupal (proper CMS - content management system). It will set up a database, users with permissions and take care of the HTML portion of the business for you.
Have fun with it!
P.S. There is a lot of technical people out there that will charge you minimal amount <$1k to get this all arranged for you if you don't ask for too much customization. It could all be done within a week, up and running! P.M. me if you want more information.
You could also sign up with etsy. www.etsy.com
I think they charge a small fee per transaction, but it is faster and easier than setting up something yourself, and likely doesn't cost any more than if you had a consultant set stuff up for you.