How do you grill a pizza?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, Jan 1, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Any recipes or tips on how its done? [​IMG]

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's some help I found online. Another idea is to get a pizza stone, think terra cotta tile from a garden shop and use it as the baking surface. Also when you roll your dough out, rub a tiny amount of EVO or spray some Pam on the top, then flip that oiled surface onto your grill or pizza stone. Oh yeah, be sure your grill surface is clean, CLEAN.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/05/how-to-make-grilled-pizza-tips.html

I like this guy's philosophy, check this YouTube video out

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I make a homemade pizza on my cold(room temp) pizza stone. Any kind you like. I put it on my cold grill. Light grill(mine is gas) Let cook until done. I've not followed recipes, but played around with it myself. I don't like to have the grill all the way up, I guess it depends on your grill and your own tastes. I love pizza and cook one every week. This is how I cook it in the summer, when it is too hot inside the kitchen already! Have fun with it!

Ginny

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    bigmike&nan :

Here's some help I found online. Another idea is to get a pizza stone, think terra cotta tile from a garden shop and use it as the baking surface. Also when you roll your dough out, rub a tiny amount of EVO or spray some Pam on the top, then flip that oiled surface onto your grill or pizza stone. Oh yeah, be sure your grill surface is clean, CLEAN.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/05/how-to-make-grilled-pizza-tips.html

Thanks!! [​IMG]

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks, good idea! I'll have to invest in a pizza stone.. [​IMG]

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    MMM Grilled pizza sounds good! Ill stick to the popcorn [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I'l make you one and ship it out.. [​IMG]
    WHat do you want on it?

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG] Whatever you put on it

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    bigmike&nan :

I got my pizza stones from pampered chef and they say not to use non stick sprays on them or soap.​

10. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I use a refrigerated dough from Trader Joe's but homemade should work the same way.

What I do is stretch out the dough - patting into shape by hand - on a piece of foil sprayed with a nonstick spray.
    Spray the side that is facing up with more nonstick spray
    I tranfer this to a heated grill (mine is gas) by flipping it over onto the grill and cook until the bottom is lightly browned. It doesn't brown evenly - there will be some dark spots, but the bottom should look dry.
    Flip the dough, add toppings and cook until the cheese is melted.

I precook meat toppings & some veggies like peppers or onions as the pizza cooks so fast on the grill & I like these a little more cooked through.
    In the time it takes to melt the cheese it's done!

Now I'm hungry for a grilled pizza!
    Even though it's in the 20s here I may have to light up the grill...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by