How Do YOU guys Deal with a bad tempered rooster??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guin lover, Oct 14, 2009.

1. guin lover

guin lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I was Just Wondering...

how DO you guys deal with a rooster that attacks you?

For me, my Surprisingly docile & protective OE roo, Hawkeye, Attacks the other rooster, but only when it attacks me, so yeah. [​IMG] my buddy has a bucket that scares the HECK out of his roo. What Do YOU guys do??

2. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

NEVER NEVER BACK DOWN...Get a broom, or a Rooster B Goode Stick and put him on the move. You will have to show him who is boss. Dont necessarily wait on him to be the aggressor. Keep him off balance and wear his butt out a few times. Knock him off the hens when you see him doing his business. Some say to put him in Rooster Jail for awhile. I like the broom/stick..... But however you choose....DONT BACK DOWN. Dont have to be mean to him....just firm and consistant.

Worse case scenario........Have him as a "guest" for dinner if he wont settle down.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    You could try holding the aggressive (to you) bird, aim for at least 5-10 times a day and wear a long sleeve shirt/possibly a glove if you need it. If you have any treats this may be a good idea as well, just give it to him while you hold him.. Don't flinch or act scared when he bites you, just act normally and usually this can calm them down and instead of making them scared of you, they will trust you and it will have the same effects.

Different people go different ways, i use this method as it tends to help a lot especially long term and since i try to interact with my birds often it is a plus when i don't have them scared of me but trust instead.

Some roosters though are just a lost cause, soup them...

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I did the dame thing with Christian. Held him whenever he acted like a little jerk. Then, I started offering him veggie treats and blades of grass through the pen wire. He now tolerates me very well, but no one else. He is getting better with my DD, but she won't work with him consistanly. Consistancy is the key.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Crock pot [​IMG]

Some roosters just cant be broke. Give the suggestions above a try...I prefer the broom method.

Mean roos can be dangerous especially to small children. We dont tolerate any bad roo behavior here. Our very friendly free range roo dropped a wing at me this week and is now on probation. [​IMG]

Good luck with your guy!

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:You are quite right

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:What does "dropped a wing at me mean"?

8. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Quote:What does "dropped a wing at me mean"?

I was just wondering the same thing, but didn't want to ask. [​IMG] Thanks for that.

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

When a roo is mad at someone (usually another roo) he will turn to the side and drop the wing closest to the 'victim' as a sign of aggression.

Sort of showing off the guns...lol

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks, I guess I had better pay more attention!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by