How do you hang this waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ernie, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like a silly question, but the handle is designed without a spot to hang the waterer without it potentially sliding from side to side and spilling. What am I missing?

[​IMG]

2. Phelanite

Phelanite Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Phelan, California
    Quote:Does the handle pivot around to the narrower spot on the top? If it does it will be self centering.

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't hang it. It's just like mine and it does just fine sitting on an upsidedown flower pot.

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    I just thought it was to carry it not to hang? [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

These aren't really designed to be hung, IMO. The directions say even to carry it by the INSIDE handle and not by the handle on the outer cover b/c it will eventually break the seal and cause it to leak. (ask me how I know this... I ignored that part, carried my first one by the outer cover handle, and it DID cause the seal to fail [​IMG] It got to where it would be empty within 30 mins. of filling) I put mine on a flat paver block. I needed to keep it low enough for my chicks, but not flat on the floor b/c everyone thinks it's their obligation to kick bedding & spilled feed into the water. [​IMG] Now that the chicks are little bigger, I put it on a little bit higher block so everyone can still reach the water but it's more difficult to kick/scratch bedding into the water.

6. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like the mystery is solved - don't hang it [​IMG]

Thanks everybody!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

BTW, not sure I got to welcome you when you first posted, so WELCOME from western KY! [​IMG]

8. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks [​IMG]

9. happyfeetfarm

happyfeetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    We have a few like that and we find the center point and then use a carabeaner clip and put a bit of taper on either side to keep it from sliding side to side. By using a carabeaner clip it is easy to detach and clean your waterer.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I use this kind on top on a heater base for the winter. Works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by