how do you hatch pink, green, and blue babies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilbreeches, Feb 23, 2009.

1. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    We have 20-something eggs in the bator now. My boys asked me what color they would be. I told them and they said "So we won't have any pink, green, or blue ones?" I told them no that babies don't 'originally' grow those colors. They wanted to know how they get them that color around Easter time. I didn't have an answer but thought someone here could help me out. Anybody know how to have odd colored babies at hatch time?

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    at the hatcheries and you could do it at home to, you use a very small needle and insert it around where the chick is conected to the membrain and you insert dye with this needle around the 18 or 19th day then you use something like super glue or wax to cover the hole, this doesnt have all the details but that is how it happens

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    You inject dye into the egg around the 18th day of incubation. I have an article about this somewhere, how to do it and everything... but I haven't the slightest idea where it is. If by some chance I find it, I'll report back to you.

4. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    That doesnt hurt the chick? I have always wondered how they do that too!

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    it doesn't hurt the chicks but it can be illegal. Some cities and municipalities have made "dying" chicks illegal because it promotes the "throw away" attitude of pets. Especially around this time of year with Easter. People buy chicks - especially dyed ones - bunnies and such and then a few months later they end up abandoned at shelters.

6. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    ok so that sounds dangerous. it would be really easy to hurt the little one I would think as the egg is pretty full of baby by this time. don't think we will be having "colored" chicks around this house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by