How do you help a chick out of its egg (pic added)?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tothemoon, Nov 4, 2009.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I finally have a chick hatching and it hasnt tried to get any further out since 10 this morning. It is breathing and peeping ( I can see its beak) but it just wiggles a little every now and then and that is it, nothing else is happening. So how and when should I try to help it out? Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Im on day 20 for this egg. Just found a dead chick I had to open up because it was so overdue. I dont want to loose this one!

The chick I had to help is the lightest color one at the top of the pic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No dont help it. What day are you on. sometimes it just takes some of them longer. Good luck.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just leave it alone. It can take well over 24 hours for a chick to hatch.

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:agreed! And don't open the incubator! They need that humidity!!! Good luck!!!

5. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    [email protected]@2four :

Quote:agreed! And don't open the incubator! They need that humidity!!! Good luck!!!

Why is the humidity so important? Im wondering because it looks to me like the sack around the chick is drying out and turning white. Will it still be able to get out?​

6. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If that's happening, no, you've probably lost your humidity already. Humidity has a lot to do with whether they can hatch. I've had a lot of issues with that recently due to excessively dry weather. You may want to carefully chip the shell away over the air cell (start at the pip with blunt tweezers). If the blood vessels in the membrane are still pumping and active, wait a few hours, then make the hole a little bigger slowly until the chick is uncovered. I'd put him back in the incubator upright in a lidless egg carton and wait. If he's strong enough he should be able to climb out on his own.

I did that with a number of chicks on this hatch successfully.

7. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:The whole "blood vessels in the membrane still pumping" thing scares the heck outa me. I hope I do it right! Thanks for the help!

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    JUST SAYIN'
    I hate helping them out of eggs. Every time I've done this, they are roly poly and die a couple days later.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Here is the link to the sticky at the top of this section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48726

It talks about the decision to help, and how to.

Give it at least 24 hours, or till day 22 to hatch. Do not open the incubator on day 18-22 as this can compromise the entire hatch. Sounds like you already opened it though, so get that humidity up to 75 and leave them be.

10. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    From my years of experience, if they cant hatch alone they probably wont live long (maybe a few days) after you help OR you will have a special needs chicken for years to look after. I have done both and currently have several crippled and mobility challenged birds hopping and dragging around the farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by