how do you House trained a rabbit??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by java girl 2, Feb 17, 2012.

1. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    is it easy?? do they have to be Young or can they be older?? will they chow on everything in site or can they be trained to not do so??

2. grandmasgals

grandmasgals Out Of The Brooder

Our rabbit went in the cats litter box the minute we brought him in the house. I don't know if that's instinct or pure luck!
    As for the chewing, he tried to chew on everything. esp electric cords. However, he ate 2 of my housplants in a matter of minutes! He got along wonderfully with my 3 cats. Until he tried mating with them. Then he turned into an outcast!

3. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    I WONDER IF THEY CAN BE TRAINED TO NOT CHEW ON THE STUFF.

[​IMG]

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    No, you can't train them not to chew, at least not when you aren't there. Rabbits can be taught the word "no," but as with a cat, you have to be there to enforce it!

You have to "rabbit proof" a house, much as you "baby proof" one. A cat litter box is not the best idea, partly because the sides may be a bit too high for the rabbit to get over easily (especially if it's a small breed), and partly because the litter is most likely clay based, or contains other things that you really don't want a rabbit ingesting. There are litter boxes designed specifically with rabbits in mind, that have low sides and/or wire across the top, so that the rabbit can't dig in the soiled litter. A lot of house bunnies have a cage that they stay in when the owner can't supervise them (see "chew on everything," above). If the rabbit is "doing its business" in the cage when it is confined to it anyway, the rabbit will probably return to it when it needs to, when it is being given some time out of the cage. When you figure out which corner the rabbit is using as the "dirty corner," you put the litter box there. An unaltered rabbit may still pee in other places to mark its territory, but spaying/neutering can make a big difference, too.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here. Even after getting shocked he still went after any and all electric cords. We finally had to rehome him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by