How do you ID your chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbbeale, Feb 3, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I'd like to hear how others ID their chicks/growing birds. What kind of records do you keep and how do you keep track of hatch dates, etc etc. If you use leg bands, do you just use the colored ones or do you get numbered ones.

I need a better system of IDing birds around here, so I dont have a jumbled up mess of paperwork. Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't usually have a problem with my birds as they each have a name (and usually something stands out on them as to not get the confused). But yes having a list of who hatched when helps, also if leg banding I don't think it really matters as long as you have a sysytem to go with the leg bands. Likeif they aren't #'ed then maybe each breed has a certain color, or the roosters get 2 bands something like that. I know when I do a head count I count by breeds and use there names along with it. Maybe something like that would help.
    I am sure others will have better ideas than I do...

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I'm in the same boat, as far as wanting to ID my chicks and keep track of them better.

I got some leg bands I am planning to use, and making an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of each chick I keep.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. kbbeale

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    And another reason is to keep them separated for genetic purposes. To make sure you're not inbreeding, etc etc. Thats my main reason for wanting to ID them. Hatch dates are always good to know as well.

Kristen

ETA - wegotchickens - have you candled those serama eggs yet? Or did you stick them under a broody? I cant remember........LOL

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I candled and was very pleased. & good, 2 maybe, 3 clear.

Then the pwor went out for 2 hours this morning [​IMG]
    I swaddled the bator in towels & blankets, but it still went down to 83. I was about to try adding a candle in there when the power came back on. Hope this didn't kill everyone...
    I've been sooooo bummed all day. Our power is NEVER out for more than 10 minutes at a time, until today.

6. kbbeale

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Oh that's great to hear that there was only 2 or 3 clear - but MAN about your power. Inside temp is always a bit higher, right? Dont fret too much, I'm sure they'll be ok!!!!! Sending lots of good vibes your way.

I have 42 silkie eggs in the bator ready to move to hatcher tomorrow. Hopefully they'll do well.

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Nope, 83 WAS the inside temp. The room dropped to 65. It was cold here this morning.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will hold out!

Good luck with your hatch! That's a LOT of Silkie to unleash upon the world....

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

For baby chicks I use colored velcro and use them as leg bands. When they get older i use spiral and numbered bands.

9. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I looked for colored velcro but didn't find any.
    Where do you get yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by