How do you incubate egg carton style?

reeder75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
I have heard that you can incubate eggs using and egg carton method. Just unsure how to turn the eggs. This sounds cheaper than buying an auto turner for my old Brower! Currently hand turning 49 chicken eggs! Thank you in advance!

cut lid off of carton put eggs in big end up and put a block under one side of the carton. move it to the other side the same amount of times a day you currently turn them.

Does the angle matter? I'm guessing enough so they don't fall over! I will continue to turn manually but next hatch carton method for sure! Thank you all!!

do you leave them up right for hatch? I have a carton style turner and I was wondering about that the other day. what would happen if I just turned off the turner instead of taking them out and laying them flat?

I use this method in my Little Giant. To make it easy, I use a 2x4 scrap (approx. 18 in. long) and place it under one side of the bator. When it comes time to turn the eggs, just move the 2x4 to the other side. You will be tilting the entire bator back and forth so be aware of your water levels. I've found this works quite well and cuts out the need to constantly open the incubator.

do you leave them up right for hatch? I have a carton style turner and I was wondering about that the other day. what would happen if I just turned off the turner instead of taking them out and laying them flat?

You can leave them in, but I would not suggest it. I have before and some chicks got out just fine and others seemed like they just gave up after a pipping. Also ruins your cartons, if you were wanting to use them again. lol

On a side note, I do leave my quail eggs in turner/carton. Those little buggers seem to pop out of their eggs.

Is it better to use plastic egg cartons, regular cartons, or Styrofoam cartons?

Back
Top Bottom