how do you inoculate a few baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clucky2, Jan 14, 2010.

1. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    I'd like to get some fertile eggs in the spring for my silkie to hatch and raise. We have no roo. But how does one get just a few chicks vaccinated? My silkie has never raised babies and goes broody. She's needing to be a momma. I'll most likely get her a few chicks already vaccinated and slip them under her...not as much fun, but still cute and good for her. How do you all get baby chicks vaccinated?!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What do you want to vaccinate them for? If it's cocci, don't worry about it as they will get it naturally, if it's mericks then you can do it on your own.

I've never vaccinated my birds nor do I order vaccinated ones so it doesn't matter in my situation. However, if you do want to vaccinate, the feed store should have vials and needles, but they come in amounts good for about 1,000 to 10,000 chicks. You just end us tossing out a bunch.

3. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    right. I just don't want to buy a heap of the stuff which is how it comes. I want them vaccinated so they don't get sick. Been there done that. Thanks for your response.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    vaccinate for what? if you vaccinate- you want to pick what is appropriate for your area and what risks they will have. Do you plan to sell any? Do you plan to show? Do you bring birds home on occasion? There are LOTS of vaccines available- most are not really needed/appropriate for the average BY flock. I vaccinate for Marek's, but that is about it. In my county, Marek's is a big problem. The vaccine is not expensive, but the vaccine is marketed for hatcheries- so comes in 1000 dose vials. It only costs 10$ for the bottle at the local feed store- so not a huge cost, and it adds value and safety to the birds if I choose to sell any as adults. So if you want to vaccinate for Marek's- you need to buy more than you need.

5. tjabbie

tjabbie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Hello all, im new to this..i have my 6 month old silkie daisy sitting on a large clutch of eggs. I prefer not to disturb her natural instincts so ill be looking for babies. I would like to vaccinate for merricks should we b blesse. Ive read these posts and dont have a problem buying more than i need. Where can i find info / directions on how to innoculate them correctly and can someone tell me the shelf life of the serum ? Is it something that can be kept refrigerated ? Or room temp once seal is broken to be used again in spring or do i just dispose of the leftover?. Thank you in advance.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by