How do you introduce baby chicks to older hens?

Well with the 2 breeds we've chosen and given that there will only be 7 total between the babies and the elders do you think they'd produce enough eggs a week just for 2 people? And I like that idea of locking the babies in the coop for about a week. And given how big we're going to make it I'm thinking it would be plenty of space for 6-7 wk old chicks for 1 wk do you think? What could we make the makeshift coop out of for the 2 older girls that will keep them comfortable & be affordable?

That completely depends on your weather and what sort of coop you have.

Alot of the smaller coops on this site are raised, you could just close off three sides of the underneath the coop part. If that is the kind you have. Of course you then need to make absolutely sure that your run is predator proof.

Also, with just two hens, in a predator proof run, you could have them sleep and nest in a dog crate for a week. My dog crates (the kind you can use on an airplane) have the holes so that rain would go right in...so you would have to set it up so that they wouldn't get wet.

My baby sister has the coop connected to a small predator proof run, with a perch in the run. Often her hens prefer to sleep in the run.

So.... It greatly depends on how your set-up will look like.

I now have this giant chicken coop complex, so I can easily move one group to a different area and then back, and mix things up that way.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey

I did NOT start out that way though. I started out, and introduced new chicks to an established flock, back when I only had the one 8x8 coop. Back then I let them have access to a much larger fenced yard.

I think what we may do since we'd have to build something for the 2 older girls anyway is just build a small permanent coop for them and that way when we let the babies out, there will always be big coop & then a small for anyone who didn't want to be in the big coop. You think this is a good idea? Also, do you think we're making a mistake getting 2 older ones & babies at the same time for our first time as chick owners? Would getting just older ones & waiting for a few months to get babies make more sense? Or do you think getting them all at the same time is ok as long as work out a system?

As long as you work out a system, and don't forget to quarantine the chickens, it is fine, and means you will get eggs three to six months sooner.

I wouldn't want a small coop inside a larger one, unless the smaller coop could later on become a storage room, or a composting container.

Or..... Make a chicken tractor for the two hens and have that for summer time fun, or set up to fit over a vegetable bed so they can work hard to get rid of grubs and weed seeds.

Make sure it is something that you can use for years to come, and have fun with.

Like I use my greenhouse to grow out chicks, but I also use it as a greenhouse.

You could make something that could be used to house the two hens for a month this summer and in the fall take out wire, put in plastic and make it a grow box.

Look through some of the coop pages.... I know I have seen some coops where they have a brooder room built in. I saw one where they closed up the space under the poop tray with remove-able panels. I want to do something like that in my coop.

But, if you live in a very hot climate, if some of your run is roofed, all you need to do is put a perch where it will stay dry, and you are done.

A completely predator proof run is worth the peace of mind.

All great ideas but as far as the smaller coop I was talking about building it in another spot in the run. Near the large coop but outside of it. If that makes sense

yes, that does.... but I would hate to spend the time and money on that, unless I could use it for other stuff. But maybe after the hens no longer use it, it could be a good dry place to keep the feed and water?

Now I remember at least two different people that do have two or three coops that all open onto the same run, and the chickens just get to pick where they sleep. So, if you are happy with that, it can definitely work.

And I guess that is what my system is too... except that my coop, and shed, and green house all open up to each other, and then the runs surround them. So, same thing really, just inside-out.

I do love the idea of a tractor that covers a garden bed.
big_smile.png

Point is, if you are happy with it, then great! There are many different right ways to do this.

I just wanted to make sure that you had thought through the many choices. I love major brain storm sessions where the sky is the limit, I think through everything, and then I can more happily pin it down to what I will actually do.

Also I went outside a few minutes ago & was trying to find a spot to build their coop & run & my options are more limited than I thought. (1) I have an area where I can put a 10x30 but it slopes on one end and there's a good size bump up on the other end. (2) use this same spot but make it smaller & have it be about 10x15. (3) build it on a straight stretch & have it be about 10x40 but in this spot they would be right up against my dog pen & where there's several roots. Which option do you think would be best for them?

That's how I am. I like to think of everything I possibly can before I settle and it often takes me a while to do that. Unfortunately we don't have any gardens right now but we are desperately wanting an area where can grow some fruit & veggies. Mainly what we want to grow is: potatoes, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, apples, green beans, sweet peas. But I don't know if our soil is good enough. We always have a lot of earthworms & I think I read that's a good indicator that the soil is good. What do you think?

Make a compost bin now, compost cures everything (well, almost everything).
big_smile.png
You can always buy it by the bag. But, if it were me, if the soils is easy to dig in, I would just plant and see how it goes. If the soil if difficult to dig in I would add as much compost as I could and/or do one of those lasagna garden beds, and go from there.

So to where to site it..... I would pick where you think it would be easiest for you and the chickens. I don't know what climate you are in... but for me.. my factors are

1. where it isn't too visible when you drive up to the house or the spouse will scream.
big_smile.png

2. Not too far to haul water

3. decent enough sun exposure so that the snow will melt sooner rather than later

4. can I easily get an electric cord out there for a water de-icer and not tear up the cord with the plow truck

After that, I work with what I have and figure out how to be what I want.

A site that is much lower on one end than the other can be worked around, several of the coops on the coop pages on this site are built into a steep bank. There are various ways to work around the uneven ground, but I would never make it smaller. (smaller bad, bigger good)

As to roots.... I want to move my duck coop this summer to a different spot with lots of roots. I was thinking that I would put a strong fence as close to the ground as I could, and then do an apron of wire that lays on the ground for over a foot from the bottom of the fence. I would then use ground pins to hold down the edges. (I don't think I will be able to move my duck coop.. the spot is too visible from the parking area, see my point number 1 above)

Anyway, I think both problems can be worked around, it just depends on what would work best for you. Maybe you live where it gets very hot, in which case I would pick the location with the best shade and breeze.

Back
Top Bottom