How do YOU introduce new roosters to other roosters?

Rosecomb-Ryan

East Indie Crazed
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Sacramento CA
I have a trio of Australops and getting another quad to hopefully get some fertile eggs. Last year Ceasar didnt do to well. Only 1 chick out of too many eggs :
roll.png
I dont want to get rid of him.
smack.gif
So Im getting a new roo and 3 more girls.
love.gif
So 1 hen, 4 pullets , a cock ,and cockerel. So tell me how you introduce new roos! This year I am also going to trim behinds hopefully it will work.

Momma
033-1.jpg

Ceasar
039-1.jpg

Baby with her 2 friend
008-4.jpg

Hello,

Its always best to not introduce new rooster(s) to the flock if you already have rooster or roosters. No matter how well you plan it out, they will battle for the pecking order for a while before they will settle in. The best age is to get them when they are fairly young. Perferably under 2 months of age or so.

Nevertheless, you should always QUARANTINE your new stock before introducing them to the rest. You can never know what they already have.

After that, try putting him in a large enough cage and place it next to the other rooster to see how he react without being able to harm him orthe new bird. If he reacts too violently, then I highly suggest just fine a new home for him...

- Tommy

I always quarantine birds. I have about 10 roosters all in seperate coops and I have put roos together normally someone is dominant and someone isnt. But I want to know how you get roos to get along. If it doesnt work I have other pens I just really want it to work lol.

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

Hope I didn't offended when I say "QUANRANTINE". Haha. I just say that as a precaution because I heard so many stories about it before. Anyways, good think that you do
thumbsup.gif

Anyways, good! You have other cages to put them in if things don't work. That is really good.

I wish you best of luck but from what I know, its always really hard to make them get along after 2 months of age. Even the "tame and nice" tagline of the Serama gets broken when you try to put two males together from nowhere unless you have raised them together young from the beginning...

- Tommy

No didnt offend me
big_smile.png
I just wanted to make sure you know I dont just stick new birds in with current birds too many diseases at shows
sickbyc.gif

Thank you

I only raise my own not buy started birds so no risk of disease. Honestly I just toss them out in the coop. The birds I raise have yet to injure each other. I move roos around all the time. All I had was roos hatch this year and I had 7 in a pen on the porch up to maturity. When they started getting rowdy I stuck them in the coop one afternoon with another standard roo, a bantam ee roo and my japanese bantams. A few months later I had 2 from the hatch after them that I just stuck out there. Then I got a bantam coop where I put my 3 adult serama roos with hens and decided I wanted my japanese bantams with them. So I caught my japs one night and plopped them down in the new coop with the seramas. Never had a fight.
idunno.gif
I've been tossing chickens of various ages together pretty much monthly for more than a year without a problem. Not that it would work with all birds but the seramas are probably the most agressive of the breeds I have and they still have no issue with mix and match.

Last edited:
put on in a create near the other, a day or slow let them be together, have a stick and hose ready when you introduce them.....

Back
Top Bottom