How do you judge a hen's laying habit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TommyVT05, Feb 7, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi everyone,

My standard size phoenix and bantam sized phoenix both have laid eggs just recently. They started around 1-20-08 until now. Now, is that a GOOD start for the season or is it normal?

It is stil a little cold out @ night but as long as it doesn't drop below 35F then its ok to leave the eggs in the nest right?

Weird thing is, my RJF hen havn't been laying yet but they have really red combs, a great healthy look and their vents are wider than normal...but still...no eggs. Does free range have to do anything with it? If they laid it in some bush, how could I spot it?

By the way, the birds I am talking about can be seen @ my website.

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    If they are free ranging you will have to do some hunting for your eggs. They most likely are not laying on a regular basis since it is winter. BUt if you really wanted to see whos laying what and how often you should seperate one at a time and pen them up by themselves for a few days. It should give you a good Idea as to what you should be expecting.I havent looked at your site yet, so I havent seen your chickens but I will do it right now.

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have had two start this week, one yesturday and one on Monday. I now have three laying and two to go. The weather is a little funky now so anything goes.

Just enjoy what you are getting, but I agree, start to look around you may be surprised.

4. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    ITs gotten really warm here now.

It should stay constant 70F throughout this week and around 50ish for lows @ night. Is this good weather for eggs and such?

5. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Well I have always noticed that it's not wether its warm or not that keeps them laying. It does help, but they slow down or stop through the coloder months mostly because they dont have enough light. The light buld trick sometimes works. But right now for me the only thing its probably doing is raising my electric bill. I had them laying really well, until about three weeks ago when the bulb burned out. I didnt get to town to get another one for a few days. By the time I got the bulb in they stopped laying.

6. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Will a hen that is currently laying in her box tend to go lay elsewhere, like in another hen's nest?

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have tried one trick. Put some food coloring in the hens vents in question. use a different color for each hen. you could mixsome colors to add tp the 4 you usually get at the store. But that wont help if they are hiding them it will just help in identifing them.

The food coloring will deposit on the eggs for quite sometime and you only need a drop or two.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Well, Tommy, it sounds like you're going to have to go Easter Egg Hunting! [​IMG] I'm also in Southern California and this nice weather has my girls laying up a storm. I have a feeling your girls are laying all over the place!
    They really like the weather right now... not too hot during the day, not too cold at night. They prefer cold over heat, so don't be surprised if they slow down when the hot summer comes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by