How do you judge when quality is gone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhistlerChick, Aug 6, 2010.

1. WhistlerChick

WhistlerChick New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    We have had Marek's ripping through our flock. It started last year, killing one by one. We thought it dropped and then I guess the heat stirred it back up. We've lost 7 since the summer began. We're down to two. One is still doing well, just starting to shake her head like a resp infection (this is the first sign we've noticed in all of them) The other has not been eating, we've been tube feeding with vet assistance. They've been very helpful. The reason this time is hard is they are my last two babies, my last angels. I just have not figured out what to do. Um... should I have them put down at the same time. They are very social, they enjoy each other. They are sisters. They love each other and have never gotten along when we tried adding new birds to the flock. We are still at a loss of how Marek's got in. We did no shows, no birds except from NPIP breeders. Any help?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

You are in a tough spot and I feel for you, but this is a question you and your family must answer for yourselves... there will be different opinions from every person here... you asked and so take them all in and choose the ones that resonate with you... then don't second guess yourself... your final decision will be the best for you. I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

3. WhistlerChick

WhistlerChick New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    Well we have decided next week is the time for the worst off one. Her legs are slipping horribly, but we've already mastered the sling. I have to say I hope no one ever suffers this. I am just worried abotu the last one. They are social, so is it worse off for her to be by herself or do them both at once so they go together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by