How do you judge?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Mar 25, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Dh and i are going to have a small contracting job done. We've gotten three estimates and two guys came in within $100 of each other.

But, one guy drove up in a real beat up junker, his gear looked pretty beat up too and he wrote his estimate out on a blank form.

The other guy had a nice truck - clearly not new but clean and a recent model. His estimate was on a pre-printed company form specific to the type of work.

Those are stupid superficial things to judge some one's business on, but does it show a level of professionalism? does it show that he spends too much on flash and the other guy puts all of his money into the business?

We ended up with a long discussion on this what do you guys think?

I am going to get references which will be the deciding point, but it made me think......

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Dh and i are going to have a small contracting job done. We've gotten three estimates and two guys came in within $100 of each other.

But, one guy drove up in a real beat up junker, his gear looked pretty beat up too and he wrote his estimate out on a blank form.

The other guy had a nice truck - clearly not new but clean and a recent model. His estimate was on a pre-printed company form specific to the type of work.

Those are stupid superficial things to judge some one's business on, but does it show a level of professionalism? does it show that he spends too much on flash and the other guy puts all of his money into the business?

I am going to get references which will be the deciding point, but it made me think......

References count no matter how beat up the truck...... let the eye behold what has passed before you take a contractor on.....​

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

First, I go on gut instinct. Second, the references will help solidify your decision that you have probably already made. [​IMG]

4. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Get your references first, then decide.
    Personally I like it when people present themselves in a professional manner, like the pre-printed forms. But there needs to be good references to support even the most professional looking folks.
    The other guy may have just started also, so if he has good references it may be a tough decision!
    Good Luck!​

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Or does it show how they feel about their work...if the beat up truck guy and neat tools I would bet he probably takes pride in his work and wants to put out quality work...the other guy obviously knows that impressions are important and hopefully feels that way abut his work. Think about the estimates...just on a piece of paper...will he stick to it? Official stationary...probably shows some more commitment to it...there's my thoughts!

6. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:It is also possible that the guy with the really neat sationary and truck has a really neat WIFE that makes him look GOOD! [​IMG]

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:It is also possible that the guy with the really neat sationary and truck has a really neat WIFE that makes him look GOOD! [​IMG]

I have a friend in the Keys who shows up to do estimates on his beat up 65 panhead. He is one of the most popular drywall contractors in the Keys.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is a tough call, I'd too go for references. If the nicer presentable one is nickle and diming while cutting corners to get the latest and greatest, that's not going to be so good for you in the long run. That said, maybe because he is so presentable, he gets the jobs thus can afford the goods and do quality craftsmanship.

Good luck!

9. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009

I have a friend in the Keys who shows up to do estimates on his beat up 65 panhead. He is one of the most popular drywall contractors in the Keys.

Yeah, most of the small contractors I know drive around in pretty beat up stuff and they have great reputations! The only ones I know that have fancy anything is some of the larger scale contractors bidding on big jobs. And then it is only the owner in the good car [​IMG]
    Of coure my experience is limited to my time with the IBEW Local 369 in Louisville, and my daughters husband and his good ole' boys [​IMG] Great bunch of guys, but not much on neatness.

10. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Take anything I say with a grain of salt, since I'm not experienced in hiring people myself. I only know that my step-dad has been in business for 35 years, running a roofing company, and I've watched it go through all sorts of economic conditions.

References! And do you know how long this person has been in business? Because MANY people are going out on their own because of the economy. They may not have enough experience, because of this. We have seen some crazy things going on in this area of business, so I would be cautious if no one has heard of a contractor. I would generally trust the more experienced (longer in business) one, as they have remained in business for a reason!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by