How do you keep a ducks sleeping area clean?

Mystic Vampyre

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2015
°Wellington° - New Zealand
Hi guys. Just wondering how everyone keeps their ducks sleeping area clean? I have 4 Young Pekins and everyday l have to pull out all the straw as its wet/damp and very poop fulled. Lol.
Anyone have suggestions or photos please?
Thank you. :)

@MissLydia No Not at the moment I don't use any bedding, I have Shavings and Straw but I found that when they went to bed - Obviously they were wet from being in the pond and they were on shavings etc, the shavings got wet and then they were laying on wet bedding all night which I believe wet straw and shavings cause them respiratory problems.

They seem to like it in there I sometimes find that they go in there in the day time for a nap

Lauren

I decided to Give the shavings another go since they have since had a new duck house built

Apart from the fact they love it and now spend 25% of the day in there Ive found so far its a lot easier to clean.

When I used shavings in their old house every morning the shavings were so damp and I had to change the whole lot every day

Since we have built their new house the shavings are completely dry every morning. Other than the new house being slightly higher off the ground and a slightly smaller entrance door for them to go through I don't know whats different.

When I had their old duck house I would put fresh shavings in and then would be wet within about 10 minutes.

Seems to be working very well in the new duck house

So far so Good, Just picking out the soiled shavings is a lot easier than what I was going before

Thanks!

I decided to Give the shavings another go since they have since had a new duck house built

Apart from the fact they love it and now spend 25% of the day in there Ive found so far its a lot easier to clean.

When I used shavings in their old house every morning the shavings were so damp and I had to change the whole lot every day

Since we have built their new house the shavings are completely dry every morning. Other than the new house being slightly higher off the ground and a slightly smaller entrance door for them to go through I don't know whats different.

When I had their old duck house I would put fresh shavings in and then would be wet within about 10 minutes.

Seems to be working very well in the new duck house

So far so Good, Just picking out the soiled shavings is a lot easier than what I was going before

Thanks!

Great you like the shaving and the ease of cleaning. To me there isn't a better way. I use deep bedding for my geese and chickens too.

My duck house was built with cleaning daily in mind. I let the girls out, open the roof and hose it out.

When they are laying, they have a bin full of pine straw. I add to that when it starts to get soiled (some nights they are good about not pooping in the bin)

I've heard of many people adding sand into their duck coops. Here's a picture:

This is for chickens, but it should apply to ducks very well. This thread is also useful!! So basically, what you want is construction sand and use a rake with something that can shift through it to catch the poop in the sand. Sort of like a big kitty scooper, or you can use just a kitty scooper. Whatever you prefer.

Personally, I would suggest putting gravel underneath the sand to let it drain well. I'm working out the kinks in what I want for my duck coop's drainage too. =)

EDIT: This thread also helped me!

Last edited:
I use pine shavings, not the coarse ones, the thinner ones.

The base is actually indoor flooring - it can be mopped if needed.

I sprinkle a bit of diatomaceous earth around the edges - where the wall and floor meet, to discourage bugs.

I sprinkle a bit of Sweet PDZ to discourage formation of ammonia.

I put down 3 or 4 inches of shavings.

Every day, once a day, I do room service. I spot pick the poops, and pick up the bedding at the entrance area of the water station. Takes me 15, at most 20 minutes.

As needed (may be every two weeks or so, just depends), I pull out the bedding and replace it. I may pull out bedding in a third of the night pen, then the next day do another third, and then another to reduce the amount of time and effort in one day. Bedding around where I put the food bowl needs replacing the most often.

Back
Top Bottom