1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep chicks warm during transport in winter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I just drove my car today with 5 chicks in a box -- they were sitting on a heated towel and I had the heat in my car cranked to it's highest point (it was a sauna for me!). How do others transport them and keep them warm? Especially if you only have a couple chicks and their body heat is not enough. Ideas?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can buy heat packs.

3. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I haven't tried it yet, but I use a bit horse water tub with rope handles and a clip on light in the house. The plan is to use it in the car and plug the light into an inverter (cigarette lighter type). With wood pellets in the bottom, they should travel fine in either the front or back seat with a seatbelt hooked around to hold it steady. A thermometer in the bottom should let me know if I have it adjusted right. Will use the smallest bulb possible to maintain the temp. May not work but I can't think why not. [​IMG]

4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Some places have heat pads that keep them warm for like 8 hrs. also thats why there is a minimum amount of chicks per order, they need to stay warm.

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Heated rice bags will stay warm for an hour or so.

Jenny

6. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    My sister had an electric-blanket type throw for the car the plugged into the cigarette lighter. Just a thought.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    These are great suggestions. The electric blanket would work great, under a towel or two, for a long ride.
    Thanks!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How big is your bra?

9. kywest

kywest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    central Ohio
    I had the same concern. Might have to drive and hour or so for chicks. Would those camping hand warmers work - the kind you just open the package and they get warm?

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    You can also get something called a Snuggle Safe warmer. It looks like a fat frizbee and you can put it in the microwave to heat it up. It will stay warm for 8 hours. Really handy to have if you need to keep a critter warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by