How do you keep ducks in the yard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cuttlefishherder, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    We have a few Black copper chicks right now and one is probably a roo, we are probably going to trade him for a few ducklings. We are getting ducks no matter what, its just how do you keep them from flying away?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Get runner ducks, they don't fly. Same with some of the heavier breeds. Runners lay really well too.

3. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    Most of the duck breeds dont fly, my call ducks do. IF you get one of the lighter breeds you may have to build a fence.

4. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
  5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've got ancona's in a 3 ft fence, they have never even tried to get out or fly
    the yard is large with a hudge pine tree they can go under, lots of grass, 2 nice trees and a pool pond

6. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    That's nice to know, I was afraid that they would fly over the fence and abuse the neighbors around us who have ponds and pools(they are several houses away but they have problems with the parks mallards lol)we are only going to get three or four moscovies and were going to clip their wings any way [​IMG] thank yall for the comforting info!

7. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

get cayugas there beautiful and lay pretty eggs [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have Muscovies and they do fly, but clipping one wing will keep them grounded.

9. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Usually only the female muscovys fly but if you raise them from being babys they will probably know there own home,you can clip one of there wings just to be safe though.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just confirming that a three foot fence keeps mine where I want them. If they were startled, they might be able to clear it with a running jump, which is okay.

For leaving them completely unattended, I have a 16' x 10' area attached to their house. It is about a meter high and has fence across the top - not to keep them in, but to keep foxes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by