How do you keep goats

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi I’ve had chickens for a year and I would like to get one goat but I know nothing about them do any tips at all will be very helpful what kind of food do they eat can I keep just one do they go ok with chickens and roosters thanks for all of your help

Don't do a single goat, it will bleat all day long because its lonely. They eat anything green basically and goat feed in winter. They get along fine with chickens but theres a risk of chickens being stepped on. Also goats are master escape artists, those cloven hooves are as good as toes for climbing keep that in mind. You will also have to learn about hoof trimming, that's the fun stuff. ;)

Hoof care is a big one... Every 6-8weeks is preferred... But some can go up to 10weeks.

You will need to deworm and if possible running a fecal often will help!

Could you give me a basic location as this will depend a lot on care, health, etc.

Also if you plan on just pets (more than 1...1+1) I would get wethers... Very easy going and just plain spunk that overflows.

The first thing you need to do is to get a basic book. The Storey books on livestock are a good place to start. There is Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats and they have one on meat goats too. The books are available on amazon.com. You might also go to www.caprinesupply.com and ask for their catalog. As well as a listing of supplies, the catalog is full of good general information.

One goat is a VERY bad idea. The single goat will be very unhappy and it will make sure you know it.

Okay, first off you can not have 1goat! Goats are heard animals and do not do well alone, and they do not usually bond well with other animals.

I need more information...

What breeds are you wanting?
How old?
How much land will they have available?
What are your purpose with goats?
Etc.

Goats can not be kept with chickens unless you can keep them totally away from there feed... Goats can die if they get chicken feed.

So a separate shelter and fence is ideal! And the fence needs to be at least 4feet tall.

As far as basics for feeding goats should have loose minerals available, hay, preferably pasture (more brows than sheep), and shelter available 24/7.

Nubians are pretty easy too, those floppy ears are too cute. Pygmy goats are adorable but full of trouble! Toggenburgs are sweet they always remind me of a typical storybook goat.Personal choice, I'd get no billies of any sort unless you want babies, the beard tinkling is a deal breaker. ;)

I raise and show angora goats and they are very hardy. With no hay and little grazing, a mature female gets 3lbs of Nauman (angora goat feed) a day. I trim hooves once about every 1-2 months depending on the state of them. Because i'm in Texas, they do have fans on them in the summer, but other than that they are fine. Adults are not jumpers, and don't really even test fences. They get sheared twice a year, and you can sell their hair, called mohair, to any buyers, or you can use it for yourself. Unregistered goats are a little hard to come by, but will run $50-$150, registered kids are about $300 and up... Provide a goat mineral block, fresh water and feed, and you'll be good to go. This breed is pretty laid back, but are a bit skittish if you don't handle them on a regular basis. They will need a seperate pen and shelter from the chickens, as chicken feed can kill any goat.

Back
Top Bottom