How do you keep mosquitoes from biting you?

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
Now I know already that we are wimps out here in California when it comes to mosquitoes, so that it why I'm asking the question - How do you keep those buggers off of you?

I can not stay outside pass 6:30pm without at least 6+ bites every 5 minutes. They of course do not get anywhere near my husband.

No perfume, no hairspray, eat lots of garlic of course then nobody will want to be near you anyway lol. I have to use bug spray (active or sport kind so I dont sweat it off.) I live in Georgia so I always end up with a couple. Maybe get a guinea lol.

You are not going to believe this but - vanilla. When my 18 year old was a baby we were attending a rodeo at a county fair. The mosquitoes were out in full force...I was not prepared and went to the mid way/commerical exhib area to see if I could find some sort of repellant. I stopped at a booth that was selling Watkins products...they had a roll on repellant that was the Watkins Vanilla. What could be safer for a baby than roll on Watkins vanilla? I bought it - tried it and it worked! The roll on lasted forever...I wonder if they still make/market it? You could Google a Watkins site and check on it.

I am the same way. My husband's doctor says that if you eat more garlic in your diet, then the mosquitos won't like that. I absolutely have to put bug spray on or I'm toast! Mosquitos just seem to LOVE me......

Skin so Soft by Avon works great on mosquitos...doesn't smell too bad either. I live out in the country, and I'm surrounded by woods, and even when I pick berries during the day, I get bit, so I have to spray myself with deep woods off.....

jojo@rolling acres farm :

You are not going to believe this but - vanilla. When my 18 year old was a baby we were attending a rodeo at a county fair. The mosquitoes were out in full force...I was not prepared and went to the mid way/commerical exhib area to see if I could find some sort of repellant. I stopped at a booth that was selling Watkins products...they had a roll on repellant that was the Watkins Vanilla. What could be safer for a baby than roll on Watkins vanilla? I bought it - tried it and it worked! The roll on lasted forever...I wonder if they still make/market it? You could Google a Watkins site and check on it.

Now vanilla is something I could live with. Someone told me Fabric Softener sheets work - may be I could find a vanilla scented one.​

jojo@rolling acres farm :

I bet the baby smelled so good you could just eat er right up!
droolin.gif
JK!
hide.gif

Ok, on a serious note: I'd wear one of these Mosquitto suits

Bubble-Boy.jpg

OK, I'm just kidding.... Thermacells seem to be effective, I just picked one up last year so I didn't get to use it much. Many hunters I know swear by it.

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

Last edited:
Quote:
I eat a ton of garlic, so this explains two things: Why mosquitoes don't bother me, and why I can't find a boyfriend.
lau.gif

Seriously though, I SWEAR by Avon's "Bug Guard Plus: Expedition" bug repellent. I am not an Avon nut either, I just happened to try it and it's the only thing I've tried that really works. I have tried Avon's other bug repellents and don't find that they work, but the "Expedition" formula in the green can is amazing. I'm in the deep woods of New Hampshire too, and it even works on those horrendous tiny black flies.

Back
Top Bottom