1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep nipples from leaking where they go in the pvc?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimmywalt, Oct 21, 2013.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm at my wits end............ I had GREAT luck with the first bucket waterer I made this summer with 3 nipples.

Since then I've tried to make a different version (smaller bucket) and for the life of me I can't figure out why they leak. I drill the hole the EXACT size as recommended. Actually they are nice and tight as I put them in the pvc....... So why do they leak??? Note black arrow in picture below.

It it because they are supposed to be installed in a flat surface and not a round pvc pipe? I've even tried waterproof silicone sealant and I have the same problem.

What do I need to do or use to permanently seal them to the pipe?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Teflon tape on the treads. I've not had a problem.

3. jimmywalt

Mar 24, 2013

Ummm... I didn't think of that! But the hole is SOO tight that I don't think I could get that in there and the nipple too.

4. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

When I did mine, I've done a large aspirin bottle, a insulated cup & some pvc. I didn't know what size hole I was suppose to drill so i started small & went up till it felt right, then taped. Perhaps it's so tight you're damaging the threads.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If they screw in, try the Teflon tape
    If they PUSH in , use JB Weld or MarineTex epoxy

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. jimmywalt

Mar 24, 2013
    Thanks everyone.

I decided just to take it all apart and use pvc cement...... I "think" that should solve the problem. The cement is drying right now, I'll wait about 1 hour for it to get nice and hard and then add water to the bucket and check it out.

Fingers crossed...... tight!!!!!!!

7. Bama Rambler

Bama Rambler New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Are you threading the holes with a tap or just drilling the holes and letting the nipple do the threading?

If you're not threading the holes, you may want to. Those nipples are 1/8" tapered pipe threads. Get a tap and the right size drill bit and it'll seal much better.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There are different styles
    Some push into a plain hole for a wedge fit, and others need to be threaded in

http://www.qcsupply.com/420011-push-in-style-nipple.html

http://www.cacklingknobsfarm.com/livestock-supplies/screw-nipples

9. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013

10. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    What size drill bit are you supposed to use to make the holes for the poultry nipples?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by