how do you keep peeps separate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Medicine Man, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I usually just will not use the same inbubator but I am out of space. Can I use something like a strawberries basket to trap the egg and its peep? Or another idea?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Why would you want to seperate them? Just curious.

3. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    because they are different breds i have the Black SexLinks and the Barred Rocks and so I wonder how can I tell the Male BSL from any BR? They will all be raised together so it does not matter too much but sometimes it can be very improtant as in the case of an Olive Egger and a Marans - that can be disaster - but that is the reason I am out of incubators.

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Oh, ok. That makes sense. We just stagger our hatches a few days apart if I need to be able to keep them seperate. I try to hatch breeds that I can tell apart in each hatch, otherwise I just set them a week apart in the same incubator. We use two incubators, one with the turner and use the other one as a hatcher. Both stay on pretty much all season. If you can't do that I'm guessing a little basket would work - maybe you could build one out of hardware cloth?

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    yes, you could use a strawberry basket or whatever to divide the incubator into sections. Just make sure you use something with holes so that air flow is not interrupted. I use a piece of plastic canvas and have it zip tied together into a circle and put seperate colors in it. Make sure that it goes pretty high up to the top as sometimes chicks will manage to climb over if its not high enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by