1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep the feed dry in the run(rain/storms etc)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    After day two of downpouring rain [​IMG] what kind of feeders do you guys use, ones that would help keep the feed dry when storms blow through...

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
  3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    You don't [​IMG]
    I usually just have feeder trays in the pens for both the domestic and ornamental ducks that i fill up every other day. when the feed gets wet they seem to like it better and the trays are usually close to empty by the time the rain stops so any remaining feed i just toss and give them fresh stuff. also not a good idea to provide large feeders full of feed because it attracts mice/rats. Better off going on a daily feed where they can clean up the feed and not leave a lot for rodents to pick up.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I used to keep the food dry so since I have fence across the top, I just put some corrugated roofing over where I put the feed pan.

Now that I'm feeding a mash that's easier to eat when it's very damp to wet, I don't fret the rain. I do make sure to change it out at least every 24 hours, though, to keep them from eating moldy feed.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:It's covered from a predator standpoint but not rain although i maybe trying to solidly cover an area. Clever idea to!

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Mine don't seemed to like it soaked but then it's so soaked it's actually pouring out of the bowl. The food is only a day's ration, the ducks are put elsewhere at night. Not seen a mouse in there.. although i have heard being muscovy they may grab one anyways.. never had rats here.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:wow, those are different. Sadly my ducks will remain deprived of such technology [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:I may try making some sort of 'roof' over the feed area... normally a bit of rain wouldn't be an issue but it's coming down in buckets, flooding the bowls.

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

ADozenGirlz did have a pretty good idea. you could just take that concept and alter it a little so that way there was also a little roof type over about 8-10 inches above the food tray to keep whats in the tray dry. I think that i might try and do this for my ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by