1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do YOU keep track of pipping and zipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunHwaKwon, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I have read people say things like "I wait X # of hours after pipping before I help and X # after zipping before I help". That's easy when you have only a handful, but on large batches how do you keep it straight to know who's done what when so you can keep track? Or are you just not that organized about it?

I have some small dry erase boards and I am thinking from now on I should number the eggs at lockdown, and then I can write notes about each on the dry erase. I'm just seeing if anyone else has a different approach that might work better.

I can be quite a data geek so may even end up doing it all using excel and numbering them when I set and making notes throughout the incubation. My real goal is to get good enough at it to produce reliable results, not so much for my ego but because I feel like I owe it to these lives that I have perpetuated.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    On my large hatches I have each egg numbered and I keep notes with when it's pipped and when it hatches.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do you keep any notes on the eggs throughout incubation, or about the incubation in general and your results to use as reference?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    In the begining I did. I made notes on the egg color and when I started doing my own I added who's they were because at the time I only had 8 layers and could tell who's egg was who's. Now, if I keep notes it's just egg number and pip/hatch times- oh I did write down what color they were at hatch as well because they were mostly mixes. My last two were smaller hatches and I didn't keep notes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by