1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How do you keep track of your birds??? HELP

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by New Hatcher, Jul 30, 2010.

1. New Hatcher

New Hatcher In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    So I have just hatched out my first hatch and have 15 new chicks some silkie some Amarucan/Red Rock cross [​IMG] But now I need to keep track of of them. My next hatch is on the way with at least 3 dozen different breeds and I'm splitting some with my cousin. I thought some of the expert( or non-expert) breeders would have a system of book keeping a spread sheet or some way to keeping logs. What info is important and what isn't. I would love to see some examples if a person won't mind sharing or if they are hard to put on here you can email me too.

Thanks!![​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    In your case, I would just use food coloring on their butt fluff for now to keep track of who is whom. Later on you can leg band them. Don't use red! It will make them pick and canibalize. Blue, green, yellow, orange, light pink are okay.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    legbands... or colored zip ties... [​IMG] and lots of notes... You have to replace them as they grow.. Works wonderfully... You take their picture as a chick and keep a page.. ad a new picture now and again as they mature.. Always keep the same color band... I use band to describe a "family"... I know each hen by name in the family.. that helps me keep my genetic straight.

4. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I use the zip ties. Zipity doo dah zipity ah, my oh my what a wonderful day. [​IMG]

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  6. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Food coloring on fuzzy butts great idea that will help with the next hatch for sure:clap. Will the red thing apply with the food coloring as well?? Thanks onthespot!

geebs- With the family thing: right now I have a White roo Silkie with 2 black silkies would they be a family or should I take one hen out and call the two a family. I like the photo thing too.

Thanks keep the info rolling I can see my Chicken portfolio taking shape:)

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Yes, sorry I was not clear. The "don't use red" was referring to the dye, not the leg bands. i have used red plastic leg bands no problem. It is the butt fluff dyed bright red that makes the other chicks want to peck it and not quit.

8. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    If you are labeling the eggs, label them on the top, so you will be able to read it after they hatch. In the incubator, they can run around like crazy and get mixed up, so I know that some people use wire silverware dividers to keep everybody separate. Food coloring is a great idea! You can mix colors in a pop bottle cap to create more varieties. In my records, I number each hatch, and I mark each egg with that number. I have several batches of eggs going at once, so I just look at my records to see that "number 24 goes into the hatcher on this date". I also use a different color marker for each number, on a rotating basis, to make it easier. When they hatch, I write down whose eggs they are, and maybe a description of down color. They get their identifying food coloring mark en route to the brooder, where I keep up to three weeks' worth of hatches together. Any more than that, and the oldest ones are too big to be in with the youngest. I also update a card that I keep hooked to the cage. When the food coloring fades, I apply another splotch. At about two months, they are still different enough to tell which are the oldest, next oldest, ect. I use an embossing labeler to make permanant legbands. I try to match the color of label to the food coloring, but that gets expensive to order all those different colors, so I only have four. I start with two spaces, then the number of the hatch, then the parents' initials. I only peel a little of the backing off and cut it. the sticky part wraps around and overlaps the first two spaces, and it holds really well. Just make sure to check that they aren't getting too tight, if you didn't make them loose to begin with. Then all you do is match up the info on the band with your records, and badda bing! You know everything about your chicken! It took about a year to come up with this system, and it's not really hard to keep up with. My record is a simple legal pad, with the hatch number, set date, lockdown date, and due date ascoss the top, and space underneath to write about the hatch. I leave more space for more eggs, and then I draw a line to start the next one. I jot down the gender when I find out, the color when it becomes apparent, the chick's name when it gets one, breed club ID number if I think it's worthy, and death or sale date, with the buyer's name.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what it all looks like, pretty simple. Once I get that label on the chicken, I can look back to hatch 13 in my records, see who the hatchmates were, check on siblings, etc. If there were siblings in his hatch, I would probably put a number after the letters so there aren't birds walking around with identical identification. I am also exprimanting with coil wristbands, cutting them up and putting them on legs, but I need more colors. I'm checking with Spencer's gifts to see what I can find. The ones in the pic came from WalMart.

edited to add: three dozen different breeds!?!?! or three dozen eggs of different breeds?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Leg bands + spreadsheet is how I keep track of all of my birds.

10. New Hatcher

Jul 21, 2010
    Central Alberta Canada
    Wow guys thanks for all the info I have time today to get my first hatch info together thanks for all the help if any one has other ideas or info please post it!
    Thanks!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: