How do you keep track of your breeding birds and other generations?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dracoe19, Nov 29, 2012.

1. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I am finally starting to really get into my chicken projects and was wondering how everyone tags and keeps track of all of them? I have an idea of how I am going to keep track of my birds using leg bands, colored zip ties, and of course documentation. I have seen birds with a numbered leg band,1-3 plastic bands and zip ties all on the same bird. I am just wondering how do you assign leg bands? What does a numbered leg band mean versus a plastic or zip tie band? Just want to find out what people have found to be the best way to track them. Thanks for your information in advance! :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Depending on the number of birds, I found numbered leg bands work best for me. Each bird has a unique number. They come in colors too so you could use color to separate lines. Chicks grow too fast so I use colored zip ties for them and check them often to make sure they're not too tight.
    For more than a few, I'll add ties to each.
    The biggest problem I've had is if I put size 11 numbered bands on too early before the leg is big enough and more than one falls off. To counter that I just got size 9 also.
    A fairly simple method is a toe punch.
    I'm going to start trap nesting so I can identify both parents.

3. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    What is trap nesting? Is it just catching the hen in the nesting box then letting her go? That sound like a good idea. I know many people breed pairs do they know who is the mother but I just don't have enough breeding pens for that and my hens don't get as roughed up when there are more. I have 5-6 hens with my silver laced wyandotte rooster right now. Would love to know who the babies are for my old lady hens :).

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is a trap door that closes when the hen enters and you have to physically release her. In hot weather you have to make sure they aren't trapped too long.
    Trap nesting also tells you how productive a hen is or if she is a malingerer. That way you can select eggs from the most productive hens with the best characteristics and eat the others. It's the quickest way to improve a line. If a hen stays unproductive you can cull them.

Here is a trap nesting thread with good discussions.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/567357/the-trap-nesting-thread

5. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Thank you so much for the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by