How do you keep Water from freezing

av8rwife

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
We don't have electricity at the chicken coop. How do you keep the water from freezing in the winter? Also want to know your ideas for insulating the chicken coop/run against the rain/ice/snow in the winter?

I just change the water 3-4 times a day.
idunno.gif

and I make sure its Hot

Quote:
Don't use Hot Water, one it is not good for your birds and two it will freeze faster than cold water.

Chris

Last edited:
I read a blog about a women boiling a rock and putting the hot rock in her water dishes...i plan to use an aquarium heater. Hope this helps!

i will just take water to them when i leave to go to work in the a.m. and check on it when i come home...but they free range so they have access to the pond just like the ducks..they go to the edge and drink..lol...

If you use the rubber Fortrel buckets or pans you can stomp them to get the ice out without the pan breaking. That's what I used before I got electricity. Now I use the cookie tin heaters...what a fantastic thread that is! T

I used the rubber tubs also. They won't break and will absorb the sun's heat and melt faster. I always empty them out at night and refill them in the morning. I also check them and knock out the ice often. When I had electricity in the barns I used a heated water base used for pet water bowels.

Olive oil helps some, it will still freeze but the layer is thinner. I also use black tubs as well. I was once told vinegar but I use that anyway with all my chickens to pevent sour crop.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom