1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep Water from freezing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by av8rwife, Dec 3, 2011.

1. av8rwife

av8rwife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    We don't have electricity at the chicken coop. How do you keep the water from freezing in the winter? Also want to know your ideas for insulating the chicken coop/run against the rain/ice/snow in the winter?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I just change the water 3-4 times a day. [​IMG]
    and I make sure its Hot

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Don't use Hot Water, one it is not good for your birds and two it will freeze faster than cold water.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I read a blog about a women boiling a rock and putting the hot rock in her water dishes...i plan to use an aquarium heater. Hope this helps!

5. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    In Winter I change water twice...once at 7:30am and again at 4:00pm. I use small 2gal buckets. Simple, free, easy.

6. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    i will just take water to them when i leave to go to work in the a.m. and check on it when i come home...but they free range so they have access to the pond just like the ducks..they go to the edge and drink..lol...

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

If you use the rubber Fortrel buckets or pans you can stomp them to get the ice out without the pan breaking. That's what I used before I got electricity. Now I use the cookie tin heaters...what a fantastic thread that is! T

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I used the rubber tubs also. They won't break and will absorb the sun's heat and melt faster. I always empty them out at night and refill them in the morning. I also check them and knock out the ice often. When I had electricity in the barns I used a heated water base used for pet water bowels.

9. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Olive oil helps some, it will still freeze but the layer is thinner. I also use black tubs as well. I was once told vinegar but I use that anyway with all my chickens to pevent sour crop. [​IMG]

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I also use the black rubber tubs in winter. Stomp the ice out in the morning and refill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by