1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep your chickens warm in the winter?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Smf0723, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Smf0723

Smf0723 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I am afraid that in the winter my chickens are going to freeeze.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What are the low temperatures for your climate in the winter? How is your coop set up?

3. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    ..and what breed(s) do you have? Some are much more cold hardy than others :)

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Fortunately given a good coop with no drafts and good ventilation chickens can keep themselves warm. The climate up here ranges down to -20 and I have not ever had even frostbite.

5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio!

Many chicken breeds tolerate cold better than heat. As said above, ventilation, ventilation, ventilation and a place to protect from drafts and the chickens do the rest.

6. Smf0723

Smf0723 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I have speckled sussexs. Do you mean what chickens go into at night or like the pen and the thing they go into at night.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I agree. They come complete, from Mother Nature with a down coat. They sleep on their feet. Unless you experience sub-zero F weather, for weeks on end, there isn't anything much to do, other than the common sense shelter that they need. A good solid, predator proof, hurricane resistant, blizzard resistant coop. Sealing it up tight, in the vain attempt to "hold heat in" is not recommended. Chickens exhale a lot of moisture and their poop is moisture laden. That ammonia filled, gaseous, humid air needs to be able to escape, ie, be allowed to vent out. With that? Your good. They'll be just fine. Chickens have been kept in New England, the upper Mid-West and Canada for a few hundred years now. They aren't sissies. Well, at least the old standard breeds aren't. LOL

8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I have Speckled Sussex and they tolerate the cold well. It rarely gets below zero here, but they have been fine in the teens and single didgets. Where are you, how cold are you talking about?

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Best of luck to you!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by