How do you keep your eggs clean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksgalore, Oct 29, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    How do you keep your eggs clean? It seems like no matter how much hay I keep in the boxes, the girls still poop all over them. :mad:

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Are they sleeping the boxes?

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Have you ever tried using wood shavings...not cedar.....and are your nest boxes covered so they cannot roost on the sides....the shavings and covering the nest boxes really helped me....Good Luck

4. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    The coop they are in now does not have enough roosting space and yes, they sometimes sleep in the boxes, although I've noticed they usually cram into two of them and keep the other two for laying...

I have larger coops I'm going to be moving them into though and there are nesting boxes attached to the walls of these where the hens will have to jump up into--how do you keep the bedding in the boxes though--mine keep scratching it out.

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I have two kinds of nesting boxes two are made of wood ...like a open box with a with a piece of wood about 5 inches high across the bottom and I also have three made out of while buckets that my hubby quickly made up for me ....he cut the bucket in half and cut a "U ' shape opening in the front and added a piece of wood on each for the chickens to jump onto.....we placed them under the wooden ones so they would be covered...I put lots of shavings in ....hope that helps

6. chicksgalore

Jul 19, 2008
    2468Chickensrgr8, my boxes in the new coop sound like your bucket version. That's an idea though--I think I'll add a higher slab of wood across the front to keep them from kicking the stuff out so easily. Thanks.

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Glad I could help...you never know what these chickens are thinking...I still get the odd egg under the roosts ...splat in the poop...that would become a doggie treat....good nite

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Make sure your nest boxes are lower than your roosts. Chickens instinctively want to go high as possible to roost. I use hay in my nest boxes. Seems most people prefer shavings, but I like the hay a whole lot better. Even if they do poop in the box, the hay is loosely packed enough that the poo falls thru to the bottom instead of sitting on top like it did with shavings. Plus it's much harder for them to kick a wad of hay out of the box.
    I have one hen that no matter what I do insists on sleeping on the nest boxes. For more than a week now I have been going out there at night with a penlight and moving her to a roost. She's finally catching on and has stayed on the roost for the past two nights. [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I use some of the critter bedding for rabbits and the chickens love it. Keeps the eggs pretty clean to.

10. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I just make sure there is bedding in the nests stay pretty clean and protects for cracking which can make even a bigger disaster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by