1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you keep your feather footed chickens feet cleaned?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bullet, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    I was just wondering, mine have a little bit of poop on them and I was wondering if there was an easy way besides a bath

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't do a thing. They'll scratch around in the dirt enough to clean their feet...and the rest of them.

3. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    My SILKIES are just 4 weeks old and I have about 3 out of 7 that tend to get poop on their feet . They are still in their brooder ,though I keep a strick cleaning upkeep on them ,realising you just cannot keep them really CLEAN. I observe feet and butts at all intervals while they are being handled for brooder cleanup and socializing.
    It is funny as it is always the same three that I need to take a warm wet papertowel to and at times a small pair of scissors to remove the real stubborn hardened poop. These three are my nosey ,get into trouble girls so probably get into more you now what......
    I cannot wait until they are in their coop and 2 runs. I will truly,really have a time trying to maintain "pedicures!"

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm planning sand in my runs and I went to wal-mart & got astro-turf door mats. They are like $3.44 a piece or something random. I cut them into four pieces (per mat) and attached them to the ramps that the chickens use to go in/out of the coops. It helps some. Although some of my ditzy breeds (Creves & houdans) fly in/out because they are scared of the mats. LOL I put these on all ramps even the clean legged birds--thinking it would cut down on the amount of snow/ice/water/mud/poop tracked into the coop. We'll see...it's only been a few days...

5. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    My poor cochin Bobby gets his feet so full of mud he waddles even more than usual, so I grab him up and dip his feet in a bucket of water, go back and forth a little . This is only when he is super caked with mud. I have to do it to a few of my hens too that don't have feathered feet. Works great [​IMG]

6. coocooforclucking

coocooforclucking New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I was looking to order some feather footed chickens at my husband's request (his first interest in our chicken endevore, so I am excited to help him find some!) Does anyone know where I can order some so late in the year?

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:X2, I have a silkie and a silkie/cochin cross...we don't do anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by