How do you keep your feather footed chickens feet cleaned?

My SILKIES are just 4 weeks old and I have about 3 out of 7 that tend to get poop on their feet . They are still in their brooder ,though I keep a strick cleaning upkeep on them ,realising you just cannot keep them really CLEAN. I observe feet and butts at all intervals while they are being handled for brooder cleanup and socializing.
It is funny as it is always the same three that I need to take a warm wet papertowel to and at times a small pair of scissors to remove the real stubborn hardened poop. These three are my nosey ,get into trouble girls so probably get into more you now what......
I cannot wait until they are in their coop and 2 runs. I will truly,really have a time trying to maintain "pedicures!"

I'm planning sand in my runs and I went to wal-mart & got astro-turf door mats. They are like $3.44 a piece or something random. I cut them into four pieces (per mat) and attached them to the ramps that the chickens use to go in/out of the coops. It helps some. Although some of my ditzy breeds (Creves & houdans) fly in/out because they are scared of the mats. LOL I put these on all ramps even the clean legged birds--thinking it would cut down on the amount of snow/ice/water/mud/poop tracked into the coop. We'll see...it's only been a few days...

My poor cochin Bobby gets his feet so full of mud he waddles even more than usual, so I grab him up and dip his feet in a bucket of water, go back and forth a little . This is only when he is super caked with mud. I have to do it to a few of my hens too that don't have feathered feet. Works great
smile.png

I was looking to order some feather footed chickens at my husband's request (his first interest in our chicken endevore, so I am excited to help him find some!) Does anyone know where I can order some so late in the year?

I'm planning sand in my runs and I went to wal-mart & got astro-turf door mats. They are like $3.44 a piece or something random. I cut them into four pieces (per mat) and attached them to the ramps that the chickens use to go in/out of the coops. It helps some. Although some of my ditzy breeds (Creves & houdans) fly in/out because they are scared of the mats. LOL I put these on all ramps even the clean legged birds--thinking it would cut down on the amount of snow/ice/water/mud/poop tracked into the coop. We'll see...it's only been a few days...
Updates???

Back
Top Bottom