How do you keep your hens laying year round?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Naz223, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Naz223

Naz223 Out Of The Brooder

I'm new to raising chickens. My hens are almost 6 months and they just started laying. And they are doing a fantastic job! So proud of my ladies! Please share some of your secrets to keeping your girls laying year round and for years to come!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You can't really make a chicken lay year round, hens stop and start laying for many reasons, a lot of them we can't control like weather. And you can't make them lay through a seasonal molt which your chickens will do next fall.

Best thing you can do to optimize laying is to provide good quality rations, keep stress down, provide protection from weather and predators, don't crowd them, and try to keep them healthy and happy.

3. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I have a heated coop so my hens lay year around. I also have shop light on a timer so the coop is summer all year too. My hens go broody often and that's OK with me. Going broody means a rest from egg laying and as a result I have a few older hens (one is 8 years old) that still lay eggs. It's just the wife and I and if we get an egg or two a day that is plenty. For he most part our birds are pets.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    X 2. Weather can slow egg production, hot weather in particular. All hens molt around 18 months of age and when they molt they stop laying. As they age egg production will drop. There is no way to avoid that issue.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Just to clarify, it's not the heat that keeps them laying, it's the light. Animals cycle on length of daylight, not temperature.

Hens taking a break in the winter is a great reason to get a few new chicks each spring [​IMG]. Those chicks will start laying right as the older ladies begin molting. Works out great.

1 person likes this.
  6. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Many breeds will slow or produce no eggs during periods of extreme heat or below freezing temps, this is why most commercial egg producers have both heat and AC in their hen buildings...

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I am in Wisconsin as well my young hens will lay all winter without heat or light, I like to get my replacements in June so most are laying by December. And my poultry do just fine even my frizzle bantam cochins.

1 person likes this.
  9. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Not all breeds are cold-hardy.

10. Naz223

Naz223 Out Of The Brooder

All great input! Thank you! We are going to put a light out in the chicken coop for the winter, where I live, it only gets down in the 20's and on rare occasion, the teens. But we are suppose to have an extremely wet winter here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by