1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you know a chicken is broody? when...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the Pollo Loco, Sep 29, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    so how do you know a chicken is broody, when you have a rollout tray? does she just sit on nothing? what other symptoms do you look for? [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She'll sit in the nest or whatever good place that would act as a nest and not budge from there, even at night, unless she needs to take a really quick bite to eat or drink.

She'll fluff up if touched and may make weird sounds.

3. City Chicken Lady

City Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Do hens get broody when there is no rooster around? Is it just a natural thing for some to get broody?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Broodiness has nothing to do with a rooster. The hens don't know or care if the eggs are fertilized or not; some hens will brood the faux egg/golf ball or a rock... I've read of one which brooded a small Tupperware container!

Totally hormonal with each individual pullet or hen. Well, hormonal with genetics involved, if she comes from a line of broody hens.

5. City Chicken Lady

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:Thanks. Since I'm new to all this I'm storing all this new found information for future reference.

6. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I have had chickens all my life seen many different types of broodiness. But for the first time I had a broody Silkie! wow..... and I have had a broody mutt chicken give me lots of grief, with no rooster. [​IMG]

7. City Chicken Lady

Jul 11, 2011
    Mongomery AL
    Quote:I have so much to learn! You live near Auburn? You are my closest chicken neighbor so far on BYC!

8. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    She will puff up her feathers and make a loud "growl" noise and in some cases even peck at you if you try to move her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by