1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you know....and is it OK to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MontanaChickenLady, Oct 1, 2011.

1. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    I have a rooster in with my hens and am certain I'm getting some fertilized eggs. When you crack open a fertilized egg, how can you tell it is fertilized? Is it OK to eat the egg just as it is? I gave eggs to someone and they said most had been fertilized and that they removed something before eating the eggs. Is this necessary or what? Thanks so much. Am a little concerned about how others will react to some fertilized eggs. [​IMG]

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating a fertilized egg. It won't make you sick, affect your fertility or anything. If you crack open a fertilized egg, you will see a bullseye on the yolk. I'm sure someone will come along that can explain that better than I am here. I'm not sure what your friends might have removed before deeming the eggs okay to eat. This is completely unnecessary. The eggs are fine just the way they crack. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    x2 There's nothing wrong with eating them & as far as I can tell, they don't taste any different than non-fertilized.

4. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Apparently, fertilized eggs are worth more, in certain markets. There are claims that they are more nutritious. I haven't really dug into this little nugget of information. That's all I got. Eat away! Enjoy good health LOL

5. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Fertilized eggs are absolutely fine to eat as is, that's the way all eggs came before we had factory farmed eggs at the grocery stores. It didn't hurt anyone for hundreds of years before factory farmed eggs, and it won't hurt anyone in the future. IMHO!

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    From what I read (please correct me if I am wrong) It take consistent heat & up to a day to have a fertilized egg. My roo is mating with my two laying hens, but less than a hour after the eggs are laid they are in my fridge. My hens do not stay on the eggs, they just lay & leave, I love getting the egg out of the nest just after it is laid. It is so nice & warm, then it is off to the fridge. [​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Whatever the person told you about having to "remove" before eating them is nonsense! The only difference whatsoever to the naked eye is a small round bullseye that is white colored on the yolk...no extra "matter" with the egg at all... [​IMG]

(not rolling eyes at you, but at the person who told you nonsense)

9. wannalive

wannalive Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    tamms/elco Illinoiis
    absolutley do NOT eat, you will get poops, vomit, and run a dangerously high fever.. better be extra safe and seen all your eggs to me.... lol jk.. they are perfectly fine to eat..

10. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    Thanks so much for your help. I didn't think there was anything wrong with them.....but didn't know for sure. People and their ideas huh![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by