how do you know? and temp questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jan 2, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    ok so how do you know that the eggs are fertile? if there is a rooster/male in with the girls do you just assume? I ask because my friend has one rooster in with her ladies and I aske dfor a few eggies to incubate and test the bator with... she gladdly handed over the three she had in the coop at the time! (dont know what I will get but hey!) So do I just put them in and treat them well and hope something happens in 21 days?

ok another question: I set my incubator up but I cant find a watter wiggled. I was thinking about putting a snack size glad lock container in there filled with water with a thermo probe inside the water thru the lid whatcha think? I will try it and letcha know if it works out!

also the humidity is fairly low inside it how can I get it up I was thinking that a pie tin maybe might cook the water a bit (right now I have a plastic container and its at 34%

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Candle eggs after 7 days, you can see the chick viens. Add more surface area of your water pan will raise the humidity.

Never have used a wiggle in over 40 years of hatching. Not sure about if it helps or not.

3. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I cant get the temp to stay right at 100 it seems to hover right at 101-102.....thats to high right

4. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    also can I use a really bright LED light to candle?

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Does your incubator have a fan, if so temp 100 no higher, no fan 101 top of eggs. Better to cool than to HOT.

Yes i use a mac light myself.

6. AK_Button_Mama

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    yes it does have a fan but that is another question I had how much air should be "moving" in the incubator? my fan is "litterally" a 1 inch fan my hubby canibalized from an old wii cooling device. I am SWEARING to you this think is the size of a postage stamp.... I dont think its is moving enuff air, husband swears that the next size up is TOO BIG..... (the next bigger we have is a 2 inch) I think that would be perfect.... what do you guys think? I mean I was looking at computer fans at bestbuy and they are like 3-4 inch fans..... anyway I will try to get the temp just right!!!! so no more than 100. here we go!!!! trying to micro adjust this thing is KILLIN me!!!!

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    my fan is about 2 in , its a fan from a computer works perfect for me

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  9. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Don't put the temp probe in the bag. Fold the bag in half and tape, then insert the probe between the two halves in the center of the mass.
    db

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Use fog or smoke to make it where you can see the air move an you will know if the fan is enough or move the thermometer around to see if you find hot or cold spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by