How do you know if a chick is too thin?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SangaChicken, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SangaChicken

SangaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    I've had a couple of my McMurray hatchery chicks die at almost 4 weeks old. They feel and look incredibly thin. I'm worried about the rest of them! My Ideal Hatchery RIRs are just as healthy as they can be and are in the same area. They have all the chicken food they could want (20% protein, baby chick crumble), and water. I can feel the bone in their chest rather clearly, and though they are fat around the rump.. I really have no idea what a healthy chick should feel like. Help?

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    sounds about normal. mine are like that too. rir's don't have big breast anyway even when they are grown. I also worry about this I think sometimes maybe their feed is not any good, not enough vitamins in it or something. but every chick I have ever had and trust me over 2 years I have had about 300 if not more probably more than that and when they are little are always boney and gangley looking until they mature.

3. SangaChicken

SangaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Thanks for responding. I just worry that they're too thin, or that they need something I'm not giving them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by