how do you know if a hen is laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okiemamachick, Jan 28, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    hello I originally had 2 leghorns and they were both already laying then I purchased 4 hens (2 OE and 2 that they didn't say what color eggs they would lay) the two OE are big black gals with ear muffs then the other are white with speckles and ear muffs and the other we will call brown. now for two weeks after we got these 4 new hens we didn't see any eggs from them still only one or two white eggs a day from what I assume was from our leghorns now we are getting one or two white eggs a day plus some days we will get two green eggs and some days just one green egg im 99% sure the two green eggs are coming from the two black girls. How can I tell if the other two (white speckled with ear muffs and the brown) are laying? one of the black hens has made a nest outside of the normal nesting box area and my leghorns have ALWAYS laid in the nesting boxes. Today I found a green egg and a white egg in the nest that's outside the boxes and then a green and white egg inside the boxes as well. I have no clue who's doing what because they lay while im at work I know one of the two (spleckled with ear muffs and the brown) is laying a white egg because ONE time (before I started getting the green eggs) I got three white eggs (unless one of my leghorn laid 2 in one day) which has never happened. I suspect it was the speckled one because she was always in and out of the nesting boxes. sorry if this is long winded and confusing lol I already know I goofed up by not quarantining them for multiple reasons. If I had I'd probably know from their isolation time which ones were laying. Thanks for any advice!

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You can look at their vents. A hen in lay will have a much looser, pink, wet looking vent and a hen that has not started laying will have a more puckered, pale, dry looking vent. Of course, it will not tell you which is laying which color. For that, I have heard of people smearing lipstick on a bird's vent and seeing which egg has it that evening. I've also heard of it being done with food coloring. I've never tried either of those.

3. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I just may try the lipstick idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by