How do you know if a YOLK is bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SweetLilRachy00, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I have been getting 3-4 days a day from 11 hens(No artificial light in coop)

So, I did the good old fashion put the eggs in water thing. I saved the good ones and the ones that were just starting to lift off bottom i moved to the front of the fridge to use first.

I scrambled some eggs for my daycare kids (I run an in home daycare) and noticed that some of the yolks didn't mix in. They were just globby! So I tossed them. Wouldn't want to send a bunch of sick kids home.

So I started a new batch and they were ok.

But why is that? Why were they like taht? Does that make them bad?

And one other question..What is the white spot in the yolk before you break it? Is that were a chick would start from, or are they almost fertile eggs that we are eating!? help!

THANKS

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they got too cold and maybe partially froze they will be globby and won't do too great just cooked as plain eggs.

3. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Really? Wow. I went to The Florida Keys on Vacation last week and my housesitter assured me that they were getting the eggs daily. I guess not and some froze overnight. Gotta love liars! Ugh

So, are they ok to eat or should I toss them all and just start over?

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can eat them. They still are excellent for baking and in recipes. They just don't do too well as a plain egg dish.

If you take your surplus eggs and crack them into an ice cube tray and freeze them you can pop them out and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer and have them for cooking when eggs get short in the late fall and winter.

5. SweetLilRachy00

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Wow MissPrissy! That is a great idea with the eggs. Better get to the $ store to get some ice cube trays!!! [​IMG] Thanks for the tip!

How do you thaw them? Just sit on the counter in abowl?

6. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Do you mean a white string like thing? That is what we used to call twisties, there is another real name I cannot remember.
    If it is strings or goey at both ends it is the "twistie" that hold the egg to the shell for the purpose of holding the egg in place while turning etc.

It is only needed if you plan to hatch them.[​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The white stringy part is the chalaza.

Sometimes when frozen in shell the yolk itself will thaw and be lumpy and gooey.

To thaw the eggs just take out what you need and thaw at room temp. Room temp eggs are always better for cooking.

8. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    SUBMERGE THE EGG IN WATER IF IT FLOATS ITS ROTTEN AND IF IT SINKNS ITS GOOD

9. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    The small round thing in the yolk is the part that would turn into a chick (embryo).
    Eggs that float aren't neccessarily spoiled, but chances are good that they are. I certainly wouldn't feed those egss to others, especially children. They float because the airpocket has expanded, indicating the egg has been around for a while.
    If you break an eggs open and the yolk and the white is mixed together, you've definitely got a bad egg. The membrane that holds the yolk deteriorates over time. So even if you make a hardboiled egg, you can tell it is bad because you don't end up with a well defined white and yolk part.

10. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    im not an expert, but the first 1 or 2 my hens laid had yolks so thick i had to whisk the poop out of them b4 they would mix with the rest of the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by