1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you know if they are sick or broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lanaschix, Apr 15, 2016.

1. lanaschix

lanaschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Our 9 month old Cochin suddenly won't leave the nesting box the last 2 days. Sits there all day. She looks ok but fights is if we try to take her out. My kids collected the eggs so she's not even sitting on anything! How do you know they are broody?

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Your hen sounds like she's broody. Growling, refusal to leave the nest, and irritability are signs of broodiness. Broody hens will determinedly sit in a nest even if you remove all her eggs. There are several ways to "break her up" (make her stop being broody) including repeatedly moving her out of the nest. She may not lay for awhile even after she has quit brooding.
    But in my opinion, if you can have her hatch some eggs, let her! Watching a hen care for her chicks is really a great thing. :)

3. lanaschix

lanaschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    My kids are begging me to let her hatch some. We don't even have a rooster so if have to get some eggs from someone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by