How do you know if your hen is egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by byouland, Feb 9, 2014.

1. byouland

byouland Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    My Australorp hen hasn't laid any eggs for about a week. I was told this is normal especially during the winter months. She usually lays jumbo eggs or two soft shell eggs. For the last two days she has been walking in circles in the coop.How do I know if she is egg bound, and what can I do to help?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Often a egg bound hen will have a penguin walk.or you will notice them visiting the nest box frequently.they often act as if they are straining or trying to lay.a very good way to tell if your hen is bound is by a exam inside the vent. Lube a gloved Finger and gently and carefully insert it into the vent and feel for any obstruction.if your not sure you have felt something take another hen and examine her then compare how she feels to the hen you suspect of binding.if she is bound you will want to give her a calcium pill .A human calcium pill is fine. Something in the calcium helps them lay. You also might try a relaxing warm bath. You can also lube the vent to help the egg pass. Or you can use a injectable calcium glutenate. I ordered my injectable calcium online. But in a pinch the human Calcium pill will help as well. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

3. byouland

byouland Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Thank you realsis!

Because she has been laying soft shelled eggs for about a month off and on, I have a bowl of crushed oyster shells inside the coop that I've been doing for the last month. Is the calcium pills the same as the oyster shells? I will examine her to see if I feel anything. Thank you for your suggestions. I will let you know how she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by