How do you know sex of turkey chick?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by poppy thailand, Dec 7, 2012.

1. poppy thailand

poppy thailand New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    How do you know sex of turkey chick? about 1-2 week. Who can you answer me?

Thank you
    poppy thailand

2. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    You don't. Hide and watch! I can't sex mine at 5 weeks!!! I have been assured by 12 weeks we will know

3. poppy thailand

poppy thailand New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    PhD. in thailand. He tell me, look the turkey *** can to tell sex of turkey chick. I think, I don't believe.

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The only way I know to sex young poults is to cross parents so that you get sex-linked offspring. You can do this with the narragansett gene and the chocolate gene. For example, if you cross a bourbon red hen with a royal palm tom, all the hens look golden narragansett and all the toms look red bronze. In this case, it still takes a couple of weeks to be able to tell the narragansett coloring from the bronze coloring, but it is quicker and easier than if all the birds are the same.

There is some work being done to add a sex-linked gene that affects the length of the wing feathers. I don't know much about that, though, and I hope it never gets widespread. Others on this site are big fans of anything to help tell young birds apart, and would hopefully jump in and tell you about it.

But if you've already got a bunch of birds and want to know which are toms and which are hens, you'll just have to wait.

5. poppy thailand

poppy thailand New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Ok. sir I will wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by