How do you know the age of a chook?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolynPerth, Dec 1, 2009.

1. CarolynPerth

CarolynPerth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    I was given 2 brown crossbreed hens, age unknown but definitely mature. They are probably 2 or 3 years old but how do you tell the age of a chook?

2. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Count the candles on their birthday cakes.[​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] This is why ALL POULTRY SHOULD BE PEDIGREED!!! No idea other than pedigree papers.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    do a history on them if possible. Otherwise judge by the combs. When they are at their peek it should be bright red. If they are very young they will be only pink and when they get old again and stop producing they will return to pink, but still be good for an occasional egg and brooding.....and of course, a soup.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:I disagree, it would make unnecessary work & expense for many, if not most, poultry keepers.

But I've been asking this same question, I remember reading somewhere how you could tell by how much color has been bleached out of their shanks, beaks & vents, but don't remember the details. I would like to know for certain because I plan to sell POL pullets at my county fair and want to show buyers how they can be sure I'm selling nice young stock.

6. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I keep the hatch date written on a calendar in my kitchen, which can be thrown away, but it is also written on the roosting room wall in my coop in pencil. Then if I reproduce others of the same breed, all I have to do is put some zip-ties on the feet to differ. I like to keep records of everything. But I don't have papers on each of my chickens. If I did have papers, I think I would get a blank one and copy it several times over . It sounds like a difficult job. It sounds like something that would raise the price of eggs and meat too. But good record keeping is good. I can see the point. I just can't see that it would work out in any way other than the honor system.

7. CarolynPerth

CarolynPerth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    Obviously can't look at their teeth for a clue [​IMG] Just curious about how long their retirement will last, I'm happy to have them as gardeners and get the occasional egg but at least one seems to be laying most days.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Look at the legs, an older hen will have larger scales than a younger bird. [​IMG] Other than that it's experience, look and a pullet and a yearling and a 2 year old bird.

Steve in NC

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    But I've been asking this same question, I remember reading somewhere how you could tell by how much color has been bleached out of their shanks, beaks & vents, but don't remember the details.

This indeed is best way to judge by far, I have been using it for yrs and is working well for me. I attend many auctions and it is handy to be able to tell.

AL

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:Since you know how, please share the details!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by