How do you know when a Mallard is in heat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juniverse, Nov 1, 2014.

1. juniverse

juniverse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi guys, Mallory is a female Mallard duck we have rescued when she was only a few days old. She typically doesn't like being petted but enjoys our company. When we let her out of her sleeping area she crouches down, sits and coos and even puts her neck on the floor. When you pet her from the head to the back her tail sorta sticks up while she is doing this.

She started only doing this a month ago.
    She's not scared since she follows us everywhere and calls loudly when she can't see us.

2. Rachele anne

Rachele anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    How old is she

3. juniverse

Nov 3, 2013
    She is 7 months old. :)

4. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    Well I'm not an expert but if I could guess when she lays really low and puts her head down it sounds like she wants to mate and her being with only people and no other ducks means your the only option.... my female does what u describe and then a male runs and mates her... but I could be wrong that's just my opinion

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Rachele anne is correct, that behavior is your duck asking you to mate with her. You should feel privileged that she wants to start a family with you. ;)

6. juniverse

Nov 3, 2013
    Ahahah! Poor girl! I wish we could find her a stud and take her back in but I am sure she wouldn't want to leave him. I can't stand watching the girls get attacked during mating season. LOL

Do you know when this behavior stops?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  7. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    She'll probably calm down soon since it's winter but it might not help to get a male for her because she might not no she's a duck and reject all others since she wasn't raised with them

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  8. juniverse

Nov 3, 2013
    Do you know if she will eggs anyway?
    If so what should we do with them? Should we allow her to sit on them even though they aren't fertilized?

9. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    She will still lay eggs but if I were u I would just take them away cause they could just go rotten ... u could eat them or you could boil them and chop it up and feed it to her as a treat she would love it

10. Rachele anne

Oct 30, 2014
    The shell too cause it's a good source of calcium that she can get.back

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by