How Do You Know When It's Getting Close????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Sep 13, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Wow, I never thought I would be so impatient to wait for some hens to get to work... the guessing of color of egg, the timing, will they really sing the song? How many? Who's going first??

What were some of the physical signs that your girls exhibited prior to laying?

2. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Mine got red in the face and started doing the egg song and the squat! Started getting eggs shortly thereafter...

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My cuckoo marans finally laid an egg today. Yesterday she started hopping up to the nest boxes and going in and out. Like she knew she needed to but not what for. Today I saw her behind a hay bale I put in yesterday and later there was her first egg.
    sharon

4. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Quote:She looks very close. I agree that the squat and going in and out of the henhouse/nestboxes repeatedly means eggs are coming soon!

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Check the pelvic bones, then you will know for sure. (pick up, hold, feel around vent, you will feel two bones.. If you can fit two fingers between those bones, any day. If not, then it will be a little longer.) it's accurate too.

-Daniel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by