how do you know when to worm.......?

buffy O's

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Allardt
idunno.gif
So how do you know if your chickens have worms? We have never treated for anything but just dusted in their coops and nest boxes as a preventative for mites. That was in the summer. Should we be doing something else? I read these posts and it kinda worries me, it seems so complicated. So far they have been healthy looking except some are beginning to loose some feathers at the base of their tails. I'm thinking maybe rooster tracks. What should I be looking for if they do have worms and do you treat as a preventative or just when you know you have a problem?
thanks, bufffy

Last edited:
Hey, Buffy,

It all looks complicated to me, too. I know what to do for my dog or cat -- I take a poo sample to the vet and he checks for worms, and then, if they have worms, we decide what kind of wormer to give them depending on what kind of worms they have.

I'm thinking you could do the same thing for your girls.

But you're right that if they look healthy you probably don't need to worry too much. In the old days that was called "the eye of the master." Pick them up now and again. If they feel heavier than they look then they're just fine.

I'd be curious about the tail feathers, though. Again, pick one of them up and look through the feathers for bugs.

maggie

Usually by the time you see the signs of worms they are really infected. I've been struggling with this myself. Some on here recommend worming ever 6 months as a preventative, other say don't worm unless you have a problem. I have not wormed yet, but I plan to in March when my youngest chickens hit the 6 mo old mark. I'm interested to see the replies you get to this.

I too have been struggling with this decision and also believe that if you waited until you saw worms youwould probably have a very heavy infestation. But the delima of to interfere with nature or not is a strong one.
I have recently finally decided to go with the twice a year worming schedule. My justification was this; we don't worm the wild animals around us and they thrive under the survival of the fittest rule however, we do worm our pets that we have taken out of their natural environs. My chickens are egg laying pets, if they were short lived meat birds I probably would not.
Also, threehorses worms hers' twice a year and I have found her chicken health info to be invaluable to me and my flock. She gives great info on it under a thread about wazine (a worming medicine). just do a search.

I would suggest that if you put the nature of your question in the heading you may get more responses and information.

thanks everybody......sounds good to me.......I think maybe the twice a yr. worming sounds like a good idea.

KatyTheChickenLady.........good suggestion, I think that's a good idea about the heading........thank you! If I can figure how:
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom