how do you know which hen laid which egg?

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
This may be a stupid question, but I wasn't able to turn up any information when I searched for it. We got ten chickens to add to our flock of three older hens five months ago. Two are roosters and the other eight are hens. Every day now we get at least four tiny eggs, one regular sized eggs (I'm guessing our trust BSL) and one gigantic egg. How do I know which chicken laid which egg and which ones aren't even laying yet? Thanks!

It's really difficult unless you have the time to sit out with them a few days and collect the eggs as the girls leave the nesting boxes. One thing I have observed is those who are not laying seem to have no interest in the nesting boxes. I read once where someone said you could put food dye in their vents. An egg would have a trace of the dye on it when it was laid and you would know that pullet was laying.

The best thing to do is to feel the pelvic bones. If there is at least 2 fingers width between the bones then that pullet could be laying. If there is less space then there is no way for an egg to get through and that pullet is not laying.

I have 9 pullets. I normally get 6 eggs a day but have gotten 8 a few times. I "think" my Buff Orpington is not laying as her comb and face are still pink, not red. She's never in the nesting boxes. I haven't checked her pelvis. I figure she'll lay when she's ready.

Last edited:
Thank you SO MUCH! This is hugely helpful. I'm going to check the pullets' pelvic bones and comb/face colors today since I'm rarely home during the day and can't monitor when they go up into the nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom