How do you look after hatching eggs ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    OK, here's what I do know... and it isn't much but.... (oh, this is for pre incubation)

They have to be stored big end up, tilt the egg carton morning and evening, keep cool, need to be clean but preferably not washed, shouldnt be older than about 10 days, rest hatching eggs that came in the mail for about a day before incubating them? What else, I am up for any tips or things to avoid doing ? What am I missing here?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You really don't even need to tilt them unless you're storing them a week or longer. I only rest my eggs to let them come to room temp after shipping, so anywhere from six to twelve hours before going in the bator. Sounds like you have it covered!

3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thank you Speckledhen! I appreciate your input! Always good to pick people's brains especially when you guys have been doing this stuff for ages and I am brand new at chickens. I LOVE this forum! I have learned so much here!

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I still look pretty good. [​IMG] sorry couldn't resist. It just read funny to me.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Funny, Julie! I didnt even catch that!

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I've been waiting all day for some one to reply like BamaChicken did. It's about time. [​IMG]

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] I jsut saw this post, and thought....I bet I look pretty frazzled! [​IMG]

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I was expecting to see some picture of a totally wiped out, stressed out person. That would have been funny

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

[​IMG]

I read it right the first time I saw it. But tonight...I think I am a little tired.

Tonya

Since Speckledhen answered her with wonderful information....

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  10. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Sorry folks!!!! I really didn't mean for you to sound like maybe you were really old and beat up.... Sometimes being from another country changes the way we say things and they aren't always as clear as we would like to you North American types!! You guys are great! Sometimes our slip of the tongue is good for entertainment! :LOL:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by