How do you maintain your run and foraging area?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happymom99, Jun 7, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    My 7 girls just have their coop in the middle of a fenced off area that is about 400-500 sq feet. Soon they will also have a 70 sq foot or so enclosed run attached to their coop. Then each morning I will let them out into the larger fenced off foraging area. I know that soon the run and foraging area will be pecked away of all green matter and just be dirt and chicken poop. Do you clean the chicken poop out of these areas with a rake or do you just leave and let it go back into the earth? Does the poop pile up in areas or start to stink? Can it be hazardous to have them foraging around the area where they also poop so much?

Thank you,
    CJ

2. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    can you section the area off into a 3 or 4 sections and rotate which one they go into? That way the others will have time to recover while they are in another spot?

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Our run was just dirt and the poop didn't seem to pile up. I think it decomposes more quickly outside on the ground. I am planning on building a new, more secure, larger runand am considering deviding it so I can allow the ground to recover and grow new vegetation. Good luck on your new coop.

4. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by