How do you make a Cuckoo Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by M To The Maxx, Oct 24, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I am just curious because I might get eggs from someone who has them.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What I mean is that I will be buying Cuckoo Silkie eggs from someone but I would like to know how they are made. I did not explain right. My bad. [​IMG]

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You cross a barred or cuckoo bird with a black silkie (blue would work too). Breed and breed and breed and eventually you will have a chick who achieved barring AND dark skin.

Takes a lot of babies to achieve that, so it's much better to start with one who already has both traits. Just to note, cuckoo breeders are still working on the dark skin.

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Don't like your chances of getting an exhibition quality Cuckoo Silkie, as you are trying to get two excluding features in the same bird. Silkies require a dark skin, and head gear but the barring (cuckoo) gene will exclude this pigmentation. You will end up with white skinned red combed cuckoo Silkie males, and slightly darker pullets.
    David

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are some decent ones out there with fairly dark skin and combs, but definitely a reason to not re-invent the wheel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by