1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you make a Foghorn Leghorn?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Jan 18, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I posted this on another thread...........how do you make a Foghorn leghorn? I don't just mean a rooster, but pullets with similar coloring.

For reference:

[​IMG]

I was playing around with the genetics calculator and actually got a pullet with correct coloring, but can't remember the steps I took to get there. Whoops?

It is like an off colored lakenvelder. Silver but with red instead of black? How can i make that happen?!

[eta: obviously this is a somewhat theoretical and ridiculous question........but I really wonder how to make it]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    maybe you could find a Dun colored bird and breed it into a Silver Lakenvelder and that would give a brownish color istead of black.

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I don't know about the guy in the picture, but I recently found out what a REAL foghorn leghorn is. I was reading about Ayem Ceminis (sp?) on Feathersite. This breed is from small fishing villiages, and they pen these longcrowers on their fishing boats to call to each other. That way, on foggy days, the fishermen are alerted to the proximity of other vessles, and they can avoid collisions! Leghorns, who are also foghorns! Ta da!

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Sorry to tell you but it is not posible to create white chicken with brown tail and neck

6. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:You are probably right but I'm curious...why is it impossible?

7. Well.....

Here is our "foghorn leghorn"

He is a handsome guy !!

[​IMG]

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Did i miss something that looks nothing like Foghorn Leghorn to me ! LOL maybe i was looking at the wrong picture. [​IMG]

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
  10. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    A white leghorn and a little hair dye maybe?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by